As a Plant Operations Consultant, you will provide process and industry knowledge to support development, improvement, or transformation of operational processes/procedures, technologies, metrics, and organizational functions in a working operational environment that is plant-based, such as a gas processing plant, power generation facility or water treatment plant. Projects are typically completed in multiple phases, including assessment/roadmap, design, implementation, and business readiness. The scope and size of projects contract consultants contribute to are generally smaller or they may own a smaller portion of a larger project. You may be delegated to specific team assignments through various phases of an engagement or manage projects from prospecting to client deliverables.
Support execution of projects to assist utilities with development, management, and improvement of operational processes and technologies at plant facilities, including:
- Assessment of operational processes and procedures, gap analysis, compliance with standards and regulatory mandates, and safety/risk identification
- Development or improvement of processes and procedures for plant operational areas and scope
- Application of technology to enable or improve plant operations
- Development or assessment of operational performance metrics and measures
- Identification or assessment of operational skills/functions and training or change management measures to enable or improve operations
- Understanding of plant operational data flow and management
Projects will generally be focused on electric/gas/water utility operations, maintenance, engineering, or management.
The role requires a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience as well as five plus years of utility experience in plant operations or plant operational consulting. The ability to lead projects teams, monitor scope, budget and maintain schedules is preferred.
- General knowledge of the utility industry and current industry issues/trends
- Familiarity with leading vendors and competitors in the operational technology space, including SCADA equipment
- Research, writing, and analytical skills
- Skilled in software implementation and utility program development/management